Norfolk was established in August 1682 after a 1680 British Act ordered the establishment of a port town of 50 acres in each Virginia county. The “Towne of Lower Norfolk County” was bounded on the east, west and south by the Elizabeth River; and on the north by what is now City Hall Avenue. The town was granted Borough status in 1736. It grew steadily and had a population of 6,000 by the eve of the American Revolution (1775). .